Tuesday, March 1, 2011

To honor Edwin Donald Snider and Dan V.


The Duke passed away a few years ago and I've always felt for a great man and ballplayer who had to share not just an era and a position but also a city with Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle. That's enough to make anyone seem like the third fiddle.

So here is to Duke and his memory and it being March 1st and a customer asking me for a list of ten baseball books I love. In no order,

1.) We Are The Ship-Kadir Nelson
2.) The Brothers K-David James Duncan
3.) What Do You Think of Ted Williams Now?-Richard Ben Cramer
4.) Season Ticket-Roger Angell
5.) The Neyer/James Guide to Pitchers-Rob Neyer and Bill James
6.) Cobb: A Bio-Al Stump
7.) Baseball's Golden Age-Charles Conlon(photos with great bio. info)
8.) A Prayer For Owen Meany-John Irving
9.) What a Time It Was-W.C. Heinz(for the piece 'Stan Musial's Last Day' alone)
10.) Biographical Encyclopedia of the Negro Baseball Leagues-James A. Riley(ed.)

I know I'm supposed to have "Eight Men Out" or Robert Coover's "The Universal Baseball Association Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Prop." included. I also enjoyed "Moneyball" by Michael Lewis and I learned a lot from it but it didn't mark my baseball soul.

let me know of your favorite(s). I can't wait to get a display of baseball books up in the next couple weeks. We're getting close.

No comments:

Post a Comment