Thursday, January 22, 2009

The classics or canon and shame...








There is so much to read and only so many hours in a reading life. That's the facts, folks.

So people have their reading for work and their reading for the commute(via bus or train, we hope) and their vacation reading. Things to read for book club. The magazines. The newspapers. It can all be a bit overwhelming. So things do get left behind.

I'm giving away a little secret right here: readers, even the most diligent among us, do not finish it all. So we booksellers hear every day, "I'm afraid to admit..." or "I can't believe it but.." or the bashful, "I should have read this in school..." followed by To Kill a Mockingbird, Moby Dick or Little Women. It makes me feel bad for folks carrying all that guilt. So here's a little exercise in personal contentment or just chilling the heck out--Let It Go. Read what you want when you want to. And if that happens to coincide with War and Peace--so be it.

I have no problem with The Classics although I do cop to hardly reading anything assigned to me from 1991-1999.

I just want to see our readers a little more happy--no little reading devils looking over their shoulders.

Go forth and read in peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment